Saturday 18 August 2007

Gochujang Bulgogi (Korean Spicy Pork)


After looking at Little Corner of Mine's entry on Dak Gochujang Bulgogi, I decided to give it a try, since I had the Gochujang sitting in my cabinet for a month. The recipe can be found on Cooking Ninja.
The entire plate of Bulgogi was polished off by W and I...hee.
W said that the authentic taste can never be recreated outside Korea. He said in Korea, the meat is dry during cooking... I don't understand how its being done. Oh well, he has been to Korea upteem times and every time he comes back with extra 'baggage' on his tummy! haha. Can't beat the real McCoy, I guess.
Anyway, this recipe is definitely a keeper. I made some modifications from the recipe in Cooking Ninja.

Ingredients:
300-350g of pork. I use collar side
1 small/ medium carrot, shredded
1 onion (I used the red one instead of white), sliced
3 cloves of garllc, minced.

Marinate:
2-3 tbsp of Gochujang (I added 2 first for marinate, as I am not sure of the spicyness. Only added the 3rd when the cooking was almost done)
1 tsp of sugar
1 tsp of clear honey
1 tbsp of dark soya sauce
1 tsp of salt

These are all marinated for a day, or overnight if preferred. At the time of frying, I started off with dry frying some sesame seeds. When its all fragrant and the wok is hot, I added the pork in. No oil or water is added throughout the process. The meat will exude water during the frying. Taste for the spicyness and add more Gochujang according to your preference.Its better to add less first, at least can still rectify if its too bland.. :P

Verdict: Very easy to do. No messiness with oil and its very easy to clean up. We ate it with local lettuce, so no need to cook rice as well. And we were stuffed after that meal... ;)


No comments: