Tuesday 14 August 2007

Mushrooms in Red Wine Reduction

W was down with viral fever since he came back and I was busy taking care of him that I had no time to update my blog. Finally, he's much better now...which also means I can cook dishes other than steam fish and steam pork...haha
Actually, while he was sick, I also made this mushroom dish. I was watching Nigella Lawson on Travel and Discovery where she made a pasta dish with mushrooms. I am not a fan of pasta, so I only recalled the front part...(selective memory, i say ;) W loved it, as mushrooms are his favorite. Although he was so sick, he could still taste the wine in it...haha

Ingredients:
1. 400-500g of mushrooms (portobello, brown button, white button) I won't use shitake for this, cos the flavour and texture with shitake don't gel with the other type of mushrooms.
2. Bunch of fresh coriander or basil
3. 1 cup of red wine
4. 4 cloves of garlic, minced
5. salt and pepper to taste
6. A knob of butter

How to:
1. In a deep saucepan, add the butter with a little olive oil. This is to prevent the butter from burning.
2. When the butter has melted, add the minced garlic. Fry for about a min till the fragrance is released.
3. Add the chopped mushrooms. Stir around and let the mushrooms 'sweat'. Cover with lid.The mushrooms will release water.
4. Remove the lid after 2-3 mins. Add the coriander/ basil and stir. Add the red wine and cover with lid.
5. Remove the lid after 5 mins and access if the reduction is sufficient to your preference.
6. Add salt and pepper to taste.
7. Serve immediately with rice or crusty bread.

Note: As I mentioned before in my earlier post, do not wash the mushrooms. Just wipe the caps with a damp kitchen towel. Rinsing the mushrooms will result in water absorption by the mushrooms.

No comments: